Sheyenne River Saddle ClubPresident Jess Magilke brought the meeting to order @ 7:30 pm @ Artos.
Harvey, North Dakota
Minutes of the March meeting were read by Jen Volk. Bob Flach made a motion to approve as read; seconded by Kathy Flach.
Treasure's report was read by Jackie Magilke. Jean Walters made a motion to approve as read; seconded by Julie Schild.
Dean Morley reported on the plans for the Ranch Rodeo scheduled for June 2nd @ 6 pm. He has been in contact with Jim Hystad who will assist with lining up two judges. Dean is uncertain of the cost for the judges, but last year there was a quote of $125/judge. Nathan Apeo will be announcing and he is willing to play music until 1 AM for the Party in the Dirt. Dean was unsure what Nathan will charge. We will be in need of 3-4 guys to help with gates, pulling trailers, chasing cattle, etc. We need to provide two trailers of equivalent size for the competition. Dean stated he could bring his 20 foot trailer. Lonnie Eichele also stated he has a trailer available too. The admission charge was discussed; last year we were going to charge $8. Jean wondered if children under 6 should get in free. The following prices were proposed: Adults =$8, 6-12 yr = $5, and 5 & under free. Bob stated he would chair the concessions; Jim Walters, Kathy and Claudia Isaak stated they would help. We will still need help with tickets and the gate. Kathy requested that the club create their own programs; Krystle Kittleson will be working on them. Bob discussed that only one speaker is working in the arena. Jen will arrange the ambulance.
Advertising strategies were discussed including Bisman, radio, posters, Devils Lake paper and the Telegraph (new Fessenden paper). Kathy states she will contact Cary Flory from the Herald Press. Kathy also stated the Chamber has not set a date for Harvey Fest and it is possible they would integrate it with the Ranch Rodeo. The sponsor signs will be placed on the inside of the arena.
Kathy has the packets for the Schwan's truckload sale June 1st. Brenda suggested a cover that states who the sale is supporting. Brenda will prepare the covers and bring them to the next meeting.
Kathy has a letter prepared to send to sponsors which she read. Major sponsors will receive 6 free passes (redeemable only once) to any of our events. It was discussed that we should offer that the Ranch Rodeo events could be sponsored. Dean will get a list of the Ranch Rodeo events. We will assess any pending sponsors at the next meeting; those will be divided out and individuals will go out seeking those sponsorships.
Bob reported on the Horse Show. Rock Lake was granted the June 10th date; therefore, we chose August 12th as the date for our show. Bob will email and lock in the date. Jeff and Kevin will be doing the lunch and it was suggested we charge "a couple bucks" at the gate.
Kathy will order the timer.
Jen reported on the Youth Activities which will start on June 6th @ 6pm. Jim stated Pepsi will donate pop and he will talk to the grocery stores about donating hot dogs and hamburgers. Jen states she will set up a Facebook page to help communicate the activities.
Common courtesy issues regarding the use of the grounds and arena were discussed. If you are going to use the arena, make sure it is clear when you leave. For instance, the barrels should not be left up when you are done. They should be placed on the outside so the arena is clear for the next person to ride. Use good judgment when parking and try to stay on the road whenever possible, especially in wet conditions. We have had some trouble with ruts recently and it makes maintaining the grounds difficult for those who run the mower. There was discussion of posting a sign stating "No Trespassing: Private Club Members Only" to deter non-members from using the facility. Kathy will notify Aaron Opdahl to make the sign.
Clean up dates were discussed; tentatively, will plan on Tuesdays and Thursdays. First clean up date will be decided at the next meeting. Members are asked to consider alternative methods for sealing the bleachers.
Bob reported on the gravel, stating Cary Susag recommends "a couple" inches of gravel on the main road. Susag also recommended we utilize a "Texas Crossing" (trench, rock, crushed rock, gravel) to form a drain field that would flow north to the trees. Bob made motion to order the gravel for the road from the entrance to the club house. Jim seconded. Bob will have the price and present at the next meeting.
Renting the grounds was discussed. The individuals who were planning to rent the grounds for a party had to relocate. However, the consensus was that we should have a contract on hand in the event someone wants to rent in the future. Kathy will draw up the contract.
Brenda has insurance forms for the building and general liability; she forwarded these to Bob to fill out. Lonnie mentioned the insurance the Dakota Youth Rodeo Series carries. He will check into this.
Faul Campground has been reserved for the Cancer Ride August 4th and 5th. Individual riders are encouraged, but not required, to get sponsors in the form of dollars/mile.
Lonnie suggested we establish criteria for family memberships. There was discussion about whether it should be based on age and if so, what would be the cutoff. Jess mentioned there are liabilities to consider when making this decision.
Jess will contact the insurance company and follow up at the next meeting, at which time a decision will be made about defining family membership.
The next meeting will be held on Monday, May 7th @ 7:30 pm @ the grounds.
Kathy made a motion to adjourn the meeting; seconded by Julie.